On that note, we’d like to invite all NCBC Members to take part in our first-ever “Walk Into Fall” 30-Day Step Challenge, hosted by the NCBC Impact Editorial Committee!
The “Walk Into Fall” 30-Day Step Challenge will be held during the month of September, as the Summer winds down and we look toward the Fall and the end of the year.
Here’s how it works:
· Register for the Challenge by sending an email to Impact@ncbcweb.com.
· Purchase a pedometer, or download a step tracking app to your smartphone.
· Sample step tracking apps for your iPhone: Pace Pedometer and Step Tracker, Stepz, Accupedo, ActivityTracker Pedometer, Pedometer++
· Sample step tracking apps for your Android: MyFitnessPal, Pedometer, Pacer Health Pedometer and Step Counter.
· Note: A Fitbit or similar activity tracker, or a smartwatch, such as the Apple Watch, will work as well!
· All registered participants will receive a log to record their daily steps. All step tracking will be on the honor system!
· At the end of the challenge, participants will send their completed logs to Impact@ncbcweb.com.
· Special prizes and recognition will be given for registered NCBC members with the highest individual step totals and the court with the highest number of participants! Please note: You must be an active NCBC member to be eligible to win a prize!
Feeling Inspired? Here are some tips on how to get started:
· Set a Daily Target: 7,500 to 10,000 steps per day is a solid goal for daily walking. Simply saying that your goal is to “walk more” is not specific or measurable! Having a goal gives you something to work toward achieving on a daily basis.
· Stay Committed: It takes a significant amount of time to make a new behavior into a consistent habit. Set a goal for yourself that will help you stay motivated for the entire month. Whether your goal is to lose 5 pounds, fit into an old favorite pair of jeans, or begin training for a 5K or half marathon, make it visual and share your goal with others, so that you can be encouraged to move on those days where you’d rather be glued to your couch!
· Keep a Daily Log: All registered participants will receive a daily log to use for this challenge. If it’s easier for you, keep track of your daily steps in a paper journal, on a series of post-it notes, or on your phone. Having a visual reminder of what you’ve accomplished every day will not only help you to stay motivated, but will also tell you how far you’ve come over 30 days!
· Keep your Pedometer or Activity Tracker with you at All Times: For the purposes of this challenge, every step counts, so make it easy to count your steps by keeping your pedometer or activity tracker with you wherever you go! Your day-to-day activities may already include a high number of steps, but tracking your steps taken as you walk around your home or office, while you run errands, or chase after your child or grandchild may result in a surprisingly high number of steps!
· Increase Incidental Walking: Add increased steps to your daily total by purposely choosing a parking spot that is further way, so you can take some additional steps. Skip the short drive to the coffee shop and walk there instead. If you’re in the office, walk over to a colleague’s area to safely ask a question instead of sending an email. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
· Make it Fun! Exercise doesn’t have to be a chore! Lace up your comfortable walking shoes and don’t forget to bring your phone and a pair of headphones. Time will fly by and your step count will skyrocket as you enjoy your favorite podcast, listen to an energetic playlist, or chat on the phone with a friend. Enjoy some sunshine and fresh air as you explore your neighborhood or a new hiking trail, or walk up and down every aisle at your local Target!