After almost three years, this is my next to last President’s message. It is bittersweet. I am so proud of this association and all its good work. The NCBC is all about service to its members and providing the best educational opportunities possible. It has been my honor to work on four education conferences (Atlanta, Washington, DC, Denver and NYC) and experience first-hand the dedication and excitement of Court employees. I recently had a longtime member email me about her fond memories of conferences back in the 90s, before courts could reimburse expenses, when members shared rooms and car-pooled to various locations. Now most courts reimburse most or all of conference expenses and we regularly have attendance over 600. The conferences may not be as intimate as they used to be but I am confident that the education being offered to court staff is second to none. Thank you for the opportunity to serve the NCBC and make memories (and friends) that will last a lifetime.
2018 Membership Drive and Member Appreciation Week
Thanks to the hard work of Membership Committee Chair, Sabrina Palacio-Garcia, and her committee, we had another fun and successful membership drive. Congratulations to the winners of the local court raffles and to these daily contest winners:
Crossword Puzzle - Margaret Kelly, District of Arizona
Scavenger Hunt - Rose Jones, Louisiana Western
NY Fun Facts - April Galimba, Illinois Northern
Word Search - Stacey Jones, Georgia Northern
You should have received your 2018 Member Appreciation Gift and we hope you like it! We appreciate you!
The NCBC/FCCA EDR Training in Omaha was a tremendous success! Almost 250 participants from Bankruptcy, District and Appellate Courts, and Probation/Pretrial units, benefitted from the important training. This is the second specialized training program we have offered since 2017, the first being our co-sponsorship of the HR Forum with Tennessee Western Bankruptcy Court. President Elect and Outreach Committee Chair, Eddy Emmons, and his committee are working on the next offering, so stay tuned for more information!
I am thrilled to announce that we had a tremendous response to the call for nominations for our upcoming elections. There are eight candidates for two open board positions so it is critical for members to review the candidate statements and cast a ballot! Please vote!
NCBC 2018 Education Conference – New York City!
This newsletter contains lots of good information about the upcoming coming conference. A few important reminders:
· The tentative date to open registration is May 8, 2018.
· There is a slight change in the conference schedule – MSU and the Board Meeting are Sunday (8/12); the conference is Monday (8/13), Tuesday (8/14) and concludes at 12Noon on Wednesday (8/15).
· Please make sure that you can access MemberClicks and your contact information is correct. We have many instances each year where a member has a personal email listed (rather that a work address) and the email is no longer valid. Also, check your preferences to be sure you are set to receive email notifications from the NCBC.
· There are a limited number of government rate rooms nights before and after the actual conference dates at the host hotel. When you successfully complete conference registrations and receive the link to the hotel, narrow your arrival/departure dates if you receive a message that no rooms are available.
· There is a great overflow hotel literally around the corner from the host hotel and that information will be provided during registration. If the host hotel is unavailable, check the overflow hotel. One important note – to receive the government rate at the overflow hotel, your stay must include Sunday night. That should not be an issue since the conference begins Monday morning.
Thank you for your continued support of the NCBC and its mission. The officers, board and staff are just a phone call or email away, so please let us know how we can be of service.