· Drink plenty of water – Don’t neglect hydrating your body. Fluids help your body sweat and keep you cool.
· Stay active on vacation – Try planning a vacation that mixes in some fun physical activity for the family. Activities like biking, hiking, swimming, camping, and kayaking are examples of fun activities that also double as exercise. The more fun you have, the less it feels like exercise.
· Use sunscreen – Experts recommend using SPF 30 or higher if you plan to be out in the sun for any length of time. Remember to reapply every 2 hours and after swimming. Also remember that you are still exposed to UV rays even on cloudy days. Sunburn can ruin a vacation, so take precautions to prevent it.
· Wear appropriate clothing – Wear lightweight and loose-fitting clothing to keep you cooler in the warm weather. If you are out in the sun, wear a hat to protect your head and face, and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes. Look for sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays.
· Keep up with your exercise – Don’t be tempted to neglect exercise just because it’s summer or you’re on vacation. Keep up with your typical exercise schedule. If you exercise outdoors, try to schedule your workout in the early morning or late evening when temperatures are lower.
· Eat healthy – I know, I know, this is a tough one. There are a lot of great foods to be had during the summertime. (I’m not even going to name them. You know what they are.) It can also be tempting to grab quick, not-so-healthy snacks at the pool, beach, and ballgames. Plan in advance and come prepared with healthy snacks that will keep you full and keep the pounds off.
I hope everyone has a great summer. Stay healthy and enjoy the season!